Homemade French apple and cardamom jam adapted slightly from The View from Great Island.
- About 12 apples depending on size and flavour profile you like. I chose to use tart Pink Lady apples mixed with sweet read apples.
- 3 cups white granulated sugar
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- Juice and skin of 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp pectin powder
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the juice of 1 lemon.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples and add them to the lemon water as you work.
- Remove the apples from the water (discard the water)
- Add the apples to a heavy bottomed pot, along with the sugar, cardamom pods, (and any seeds that have escaped) the pectin and the juice and peel of the lemon. Stir well, and then bring to a boil.
- Boil, uncovered and stirring often, for about 30-40 minutes until thickened. Depending on how you like your jam, you may want to use a stick blender to blend the jam at this point, however I like to keep mine in little bits.
- Place the finished jam into clean (sterilized) jars, cover tightly, and let cool before refrigerating.
Eat this on toast, cake or as a filling in doughnuts.
Want to cook, bake and make more at home? Check our Recipes section for more delicious inspiration!