If you’re anything like me, coffee and cake are a staple – caffeine to get me through the day and a delicious treat for making it through the week.
Nespresso’s newest creation is both of these wrapped up in one decadently dreamy mug. The Vertuo Next Pumpkin Spice Coffee is a blend of smooth South American Arabicas with a subtle sweet pumpkin flavour, wrapped in warm spice notes mainly defined by cloves, cinnamon and cardamom which melt with sweet pumpkin flavour to create a smooth Arabica blend from Ethiopia, Central and South America.
If the coffee itself isn’t enough indulgence, we came across an even sweeter treat – the Nepresso Pumpkin Spice Cake.
We spent an afternoon wrapped in the most delicious aromas, with a mug of Pumpkin Spice Coffee in hand of course, as we baked what can only be described as pure pumpkin bliss. I kept finding my mind drifting to the kitchen and couldn’t help sneaking in to steal another slice.
For the streusel topping:
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
For the cake:
1 cup pumpkin purée – see the method below
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
two large eggs
40ml Nespresso Pumpkin Spice Coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 20cm square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the streusel topping:
- In a small bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients with a fork until crumbly.
Make the pumpkin purée:
- Cut pumpkin in half
- Roast for 45 minutes – check on pumpkin intermittently
- Scoop out when softened and mash
Blend in a mixer if you prefer
Make the cake:
In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. In a small bowl, stir together the pumpkin purée, oil, and eggs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. Add in 40 milliliters of your already-prepared Nespresso Pumpkin Spice Coffee. gently stir until just combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Spread the remaining batter over the streusel. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Glass and ceramic pans will take longer to bake than metal. Cool for 15 minutes.